Monday, July 25, 2016



Hey, I tried making saury fish for the first time. My family calls the fish by the Chinese name 秋刀魚, that means "autumn knife fish". I read that you can use the broiler function in household oven to pseudo-grill the fish. 

I gave this a try, and after I put the two fish in the oven for less than 1 minutes, I heard a BANG and see smokes come out from one of the stove top. I opened the oven immediately to check what goes on. As you can see, one of the saury got a serious burn. Lesson learned: the broiler can be a very powerful source of heat. 


I'm going to talk a little about all the small things I did on the fish before putting to be cooked. For example, I poured olive oil on the oven pan, I cut the belly of the fish open to clean the intestines, then once ready on the pan, I smeared the olive oil all over the fish. I added a lot of salt, and some grounded pepper. I also poured some ancient mirin that I found deep inside the sauce cupboard (6 years old?)—but it smelled fine, so I added it in. Rub the seasonings all over the fish. 


With the hole in the fish belly, I wanted to fill that emptiness. So, I dashed out to the garden and pulled out some tiny shallots from the soil. I stuffed cut shallots into the belly. 


Thoughts on the taste: Even though they were frozen saury fish (in pack of three) that I brought at Chinese supermarket for a bargain, the meat tasted rich. I definitely recommend it as a nutritious lunch dish. I eat 2 of them to gain weight